The Q&A Archives: Liriope Out Of Control

Question: When I first planted my liriope (the crawling type, I found out later)3 years ago, I pulled the plant apart into about 4 plants each and planted them too close to each other. Now I have a real mess because instead of nice tufts of the plant, I have liriope running all over the planting area. And these suckers are deep!!!!!!! Do I have to physically space out the plants by digging them up? Can liriope just be growing all over the place or are tufts necessary. And talk about healthy! I could have a roadside stand for liriope. Thanks, Mary Lou Scrivener

Answer: The running type of liriope which you apparently have will eventually (probably sooner rather than later) fill in all by itself to make a very full, dense, carpeting of ground cover. It may also be difficult to contain in a given area, so you may want to think about how far you would like to allow it to go. A dug edge or "moat" of bare soil can work to contain it.

There are other types of liriope that stay in distinct clumps and expand only gradually, and these would need to be divided and planted on a regular spacing to achieve a similar coverage. In your case, this effort will not be needed.