The Q&A Archives: Plant Blueberry Bushes Now?

Question: I recently bought some blueberry bushes. I would like to know when to plant? Where to plant also. Our forcast for N.Y. is predicting snow for the end of the week should I wait?

Answer: Blueberries need a full sun location with a soil that is humusy, evenly moist yet not soggy, and very acidic. You might want to run some soil tests to make sure your soil is amenable to the blueberries. Your county extension should be a ble to help you with the tests and interpreting the results with an eye on growing blueberries.

If the plants are dormant and bare root, they can be planted as soon as the soil is workable. If they are container grown and have been acclimated to the outdoors then they can be planted now, too. This way they can wake up naturally with the season. Snow is actually a good insulator.

If they are very tender and have been pushed into early growth, they should be protected from freezing temperatures. If possible, set them in pots outside each day and bring them into an unheated area such as a garage each night. That way they can get the sunlight they need. Then plant them as soon as the weather has settled.