The Q&A Archives: Potted Bleeding Heart...transplant Or Wait?

Question: I have an Old Fashioned Bleeding Heart that was blooming when I purchased it last spring. I was afraid transplanting it would upset the root system and halt blooming, so I just sat the container in the garden. I never got back to planting it and thought it had not survived the winter. When I went to throw the pot out in early April, I found foot long roots had grown out of the drainage hole and rooted themselves in the garden. Now I have exposed roots and a Bleeding Heart that is thriving and ready to bloom! I am faced with the same question as last year, do I transplant it or wait until it dies back?

Answer: Since you have essentially uprooted it, plant it right away. Provide a large enough hole to accommodate the root easily. Take care to keep it well watered (if it doesn't rain) to compensate for the root damage when you pulled it up.