The Q&A Archives: Can I Grow Tea?

Question: I am interested in growing and cultivating tea for consumption, but I can't find information on it anywhere. Is it possible to grow a tea plant? Any information you have would be helpful. Thank you.

Answer: The standard plant grown for making tea is Camillia sinensis, a native of China, Indochina, and Thailand. In general, camillias like well-drained, slightly acidic, fertile soil that is rich with humus. It should neither stay excessively wet, nor suffer extended drought for best growth. The leaves are harvested green and then dried for tea. If you're interested in growing other kinds of plants for teas, Richters Herbs has a huge selection of medicinal plants, herbs, and books for growing them. Offerings include Camellia sinensis (tea), chamomile, lemon balm, and kombucha. Their web site is