The Q&A Archives: How To Make Thundercloud Purpleleaf Plum (prunus Cerasifera) Bear Fruit?

Question: Last summer, I bought a house with a 10-12 year old Thundercloud Purpleleaf Plum in the back yard. It just finished flowering (beautiful white flowers - recently fell off), but the previous owner has never seen it set fruit, and I was wondering if you have any advice. I could not find any information aobut whether it's a self-pollinating variety, or if it needs a mate to set fruit, and if so, what kind of mate it needs. Also, even if I were to find a mate, how long would it take for the mature tree to bear fruit? Have I already missed this season? How mature does the mate have to be?

Sorry for all the questions, but I was hoping you could help. Please let me know what you recommend. I'm in Rockville, Maryland (DC suburbs) (zone 6-7).

Answer: This is an ornamental tree and does not bear fruit worthy of the name -- it is less than an inch in diameter. As a result, the fruits often go unnoticed. For this reason, too, you will not find information about growing it as a fruiting tree.