The Q&A Archives: Pocket Holds Water In Crotch Of Mimosa Tree

Question: My 15+ year old Mimosa tree has a pocket between the 3 major branches that holds water & collects debris. Cutting the branches is really not an option (it would make the tree very misshaped and still probably would not solve the pocket problem). I am considering mixing up some resin to put into the pocket that will harden & hopefully keep the water & debris out. Is this a good idea or do you have any other suggestions? The tree is very healthy otherwise. Thanks!

Answer: Unfortunately, there is usually little that can be constructively done in such a situation. That spot on the tree will be a weak spot and filling it will not solve that problem, while at the same time it may cause more problems down the road. You might consult with a professionally trained and certified arborist to see if they have any suggestions based on an on-site inspection. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.