The Q&A Archives: Wintering an Alstromeria

Question: I have an alstromeria that I planted in a container as I was unsure it would winter over in the ground. It flourished in the summer on my deck and now is still thriving with good foliage, but not any flowers. I still have it outdoors and assume I need to wait for the frost to hit it several times and then cut it back and bring it indoors. Is this right? What do I do once I bring it indoors?

Answer: Alstroemerias are summer-flowering herbaceous perennials that are generally not hardy north of Washington DC. One variety, A. aurantiaca, will survive (with protection) as far north as southern New England.<br><br>Alstroemerias prefer regions with relatively mild winters and not-too-hot summers. <br><br>If frost hasn't killed the foliage, bring the plant indoors. Try to keep it in a bright but relatively cool spot (50-60F) and water sparingly, but don't let the soil dry out completely. The foliage should naturally die back and the plant will enter a dormant phase. Once the plant is dormant, cut back on water even more and keep the container in a cool, shaded place. When you see sprouts, move the plant to a bright location and increase water.