The Q&A Archives: Heavenly Bamboo

Question: I purchased a heavenly bamboo purple passion and would like to know if it is invasive and /or do I have to plant it in a container...would like to plant beside a small water feature and keep plant about 2 feet tall if possible. I was very impressed with this plant, and hope this will be the right plant for this location.

Answer: Nandina (heavenly bamboo) isn't a bamboo at all and therefore doesn't have the spreading, invasive characteristics often associated with bamboo. Nandina 'Purple Passion' is a slow-growing, well-behaved plant and will be quite content in a sunny location next to your water feature. Nandina 'Purple Passion' will grow about 4' high at maturity, with a 3' spread. You can keep it smaller by pruning it back occasionally