The Q&A Archives: Small Vegetable Garden

Question: I only have 2 small areas to use for a vegetable garden. One is 8' x 8' and the other is 6' x 2'. I grew tomatoes, zuccini, bell peppers the last 2 years. Any suggestions?
Thank you.

Answer: You could add some cool season plantings in succession, thus enjoying early snow peas, spinach, lettuce, and radishes up until it is time to plant out the tomatoes and peppers. The transplants can be set in place and will grow enough to need all of the space about when the early plants are giving up in the hotter weather. Zucchini is rather a large plant, you might try a vining squash or cucumbers on a trellis for a change. You can also add small patches of bush beans or a teepee of climbing beans on the north side of one of your patches. Another idea is to squeeze in a few basil plants or other herbs. There are many methods of squeezing in a few more plants. You might enjoy a book about French intensive or square foot gardening methods.