The Q&A Archives: Invading Moss In Flower Bed

Question: I have moss invading my lilly flower bed, soil is sandy loam, ph 7. What can I use or do to eliminate this nuisance without harming the lillies?

Answer: Moss in and of itself is not likely to hurt anything, but it is usually a sign that something is out of balance. Possible causes would be overly acidic soil, poor drainage, compacted soil or excessive shade. Since the pH is slightly alkaline, the soil is sandy and so should be well drained, and the lilies would grow best in a sunny location, I am not sure what is causing the moss. Sometimes mosses grow in a seasonal way and disappear once the weather turns warmer and drier. You might want to consult with your county extension if it is truly a problem for you.