The Q&A Archives: Planting Pumpkins

Question: When planting pumkins, how far apart should seeds be placed to provide adequate room for growth?

Answer: There are lots of different kinds of pumpkins, so planting distances will vary. I plant my pumpkins in hills--actually just mounds of soil about 2 feet in diameter and 6 inches high, with flattened tops. I space my hills about 4 feet apart, then plant 4 or 5 seeds per hill. I make a small depression where I plant the seeds to hold water and fertilizer, so it doesn't run down the side of the hill. You can thin your plants to one or two plants per hill.<br><br>If you are growing giant pumpkins, space hills farther apart and thin to one plant per hill; if you are growing bush or compact cultivars, you can space them closer.