The Q&A Archives: Pussy Willows

Question: When do I plant pussy willows?
My duaghter received a pussy willow cutting and we have been keeping it in water and it started growing roots, would this make a good planting?

Answer: Pussy willow roots easily from cuttings and often those that root in the vase can be planted successfully. Since it has been indoors, it will be very tender and will not tolerate freezing weather yet. You might try planting it in a pot of damp soilless potting mix and allowing it to continue growing roots. Keep it in a very bright location and begin acclimating it to the outdoors on mild days, but bring it indoors on cold nights. When it has a good set of roots and your frost date has passed, in a few weeks, plant it outdoors. Keep the soil moist all summer while it is becoming established. Good luck with your pussy willow.