The Q&A Archives: Where Would I Find It?

Question: I am curious to know if anyone could direct me as where to go to find ladys slipper. I have a very large rock garden and half is shaded , I have tried all the garden centers in my area and on-line as well with no luck. If in addition you can suggest some other flowering perennnials that due well in the shade, I would be most grateful.

Answer: The lady's slippers are somewhat unusual in commerce, however the following Slipper Orchid Alliance web site includes a list of orchid dealers who may handle them. Please make sure any plants you buy are nursery propagated and not collected from the wild.

Some other, easier perennial plants to grow in shade would include the following: polemonium, pulmonaria, hosta of all kinds, ferns, astilbe, sweet woodruff, Solomon's seal, tricyrtis, lily of the valley, Virginia bluebells, goatsbeard, and ajuga; and in partial shade, dicentra, heuchera, tradescantia, and perennial geraniums would be worth a try.