The Q&A Archives: White Flies

Question: Over the summer I had white flies all over my tomatoes and basil. I thought that they would retreat this fall, but they have not. They continue to suck the life out of my herbs. I use insecticidal soap about once a week. Do you have any other suggestions?

Answer: White flies are second only to aphids as the most exasperating garden pest. Using insecticidal soap is your best defense - just keep applying it regularly and eventually you ll defeat the little pests. Be sure to coat plants thoroughly--including the undersides of the leaves. You might try spraying twice a week to get them under control, then once a week for maintenance.<br><br>When the season is over, be sure to remove any plant debris from your garden to eliminate any over-wintering opportunities for eggs or adult white flies.