The Q&A Archives: Clipping Redtips

Question: I have some redtips,and need to clip them. When do I do this? And can & how do I root the clippings? Thanks Pat

Answer: Photinia fraseri is an evergreen shrub with moderate to fast growth and the potential to reach 15' and about 20' wide. You can clip or shear photinia to keep it inbounds and to promote new leaf growth each spring. One of the attributes of photinia is reddish new leaves, so annual pruning will keep your plants dense and colorful and still contain their size, if that's a concern in your garden.

Most cuttings will readily root in moistened potting soil. Use about a 6" piece, remove the lower leaves, dip the cut end in rooting hormone, then place them in a container of potting soil to which you've added some sand. Keep the growing medium moist and the cuttings out of direct sunshine. You'll know they've rooted when new growth appears.