The Q&A Archives: Getting Rid Of Grass

Question: I have 2 flower boxes approximately 12' X 3' each. I noticed that suddenly grass is growing. It is very annoying and I do not know what to do to get rid of it. I am not sure if I use grass and weed killer if it will ruin the soil for the annuals I put there. Should I turn soil and use landscape fabric? If so how do I use it?
Confused in Kearny

Answer: If the grass is crabgrass, which germinates right about when the forsythia blooms, you can control it by lightly hoeing or raking to disturb the seedlings and then applying several inches of mulch over top of the soil. The mulch will exclude light and prevent additional seeds from germinating, it will also smother any little seedlings the hoeing may have missed. Once you plant the annuals, the mulch will continue to help suppress weeds and will eventually help feed the soil as it breaks down over time. As a bonus, it also helps keep the soil cooler and moister.