The Q&A Archives: club root

Question: I believe my cucumbers suffered from club root this year. What causes it and how can I eliminate it?

Answer: Club root is a disease that affects plants in the cabbage family. I wonder if your cucumbers were affected instead by root-knot nematodes. Symptoms include stunted or slow-growing plants, wilting in mid-day, and knobby galls on roots. These galls may be up to 1/2 inch across, but most are smaller and look like small beads attached to the roots.<br><br>Gardening in soil affected by nematodes requires a comprehensive management plan, since they can devastate many crops. Management strategies include crop rotation, adding compost (to increase beneficial microorganisms), timing plantings, solarizing soil, and choosing resistant varieties.