The Q&A Archives: Dahlia,dried With Cluster Of Tubers- How Do I Cut From Stem And Plant Each One

Question: I have never planted dahlias before. Some I purchased had a dried stem with dangling tubers(?),others just looked more like a regular bulb. Can I cut each tuber off and plant it. If so, does the cut side face up? There are no obvious roots for a point of reference.

Answer: The dried stem piece must be attached in order for the tuber to grow. A stem with several tubers attached to it will make a larger or thicker plant sooner than a partial stem with a single tuber. Sometimes, it is possible to divide a clump even further but a portion of stem must be left on each division so it can be difficult to do. When planting, plant the tuber with the stem end up.