The Q&A Archives: What To Plant In Indoor Atrium?

Question: I have a 3'x15' atrium (off kitchen area) with all glass facing south on partial shady lot. 7 hanging baskets overhead. How do I design and what do I plant? Color is very important.

Answer: There are two types of flowering plants; those that provide a temporary display, and those that take up permanent residence. In the area you describe you can permanently plant (and expect spectacular displays from) Bird of Paradise, Stapelia gigantea, Datura, Jasmine, Impatiens, Brunfelsia and Beloperone. Seasonal color can be included with the following plants that you place in the area when they're in bloom, replacing with others as the blooming period subside. Plants to consider: Hibiscus, Azalea, Gloxinia, Cineraria, Chrysanthemum, Thunbergia, and miniature roses.

Hope these suggestions give you the beginnings of a colorful and ever-changing indoor garden.