The Q&A Archives: Desert Lawn

Question: My Wife and I planted pod in our backyard; some areas are doing well but one section remains yellow, why is that? I water in the evening so the water has time to soak in before it gets warm in the day time. We turn our sprinklers on for 15 minutes.

Answer: I assume you planted Bermuda sod. It needs full sun and if it's in a shady area it won't perform. It could also be receiving too much or too little water. Check to ensure that your sprinklers are covering evenly. Bermuda should be watered to a depth of 8-10 inches in summer; 4-6 inches in winter. It should not be watered daily, and should dry out between waterings. This promotes deep root development, which is more drought tolerant and creates a healthier lawn. 15 minutes may not be long enough for water to penetrate the proper depth. Use a soil probe, any long piece of sharpened wood or metal, to poke into the soil to check how far water has penetrated. The probe moves easily through moist soil, but stops when it hits hard dry soil. Finally, it is better to water early in the morning (3-6 am) because evening watering can promote fungal diseases.