The Q&A Archives: Existence Of Blue Flowers

Question: My girlfriend and I have recently been debating the existence of blue flowers in nature (we live in manhattan and see them on every street corner). What we'd like to know is:
1. Do blue flowers exist in nature (or are these dyed)?
2. If so, what are the names of some of the flowers?

Answer: There are blue flowers, although blue can be a somewhat relative term with many so-called blue flowers being debatably purple. (This tends to happen most often when the flower's natural color range is not blue.) To date, there are still no blue tulips or blue roses.

Blue flowers can be found among Scilla siberica, hyacinths, iris, columbine, salvia, campanula, delphinium, monkshood, platycoden, veronica, tradescantia, hydrangea, morning glory, lobelia, ageratum, lisianthus, polemonium, mertensia virginica, and violets among others. The flower color can vary depending on the specific variety grown as well as sometimes the soil type, temperature, and time of day.