The Q&A Archives: Pineapple

Question: Hi, not really a question. Just thought I'd add tidbits to the pineapple questions. Planted one (from a Dole Hawaiian fruit) about 4 years ago. Original top was planted in a 14" clay pot. May move to a bigger pot this year. Kept in sunny location, minimal fertilizer. Kept moist. Have harvested 3 fruits now. First one was absolutely the best pineapple my wife or I had ever had. Simply supurb, very very juicy and sweet, with a bit of a coconut flavor. The next two were, well almost as good. They were all a bit small, 2/3rds regular size. Have put apple cores in the soil in the spring (my Dad said that is supposed to help) and saw your notes about the platic bag. Now the plant is a clump of about 4 separate plants. I'm still thinking that each plant only produces in it's second year. Everyone gets a kick of my growing pinapples. I sure hope I get 3 or 4 in one season one of these years. Best of luck to your listeners. Gary

Answer: Thanks for sharing your pineapple growing experiences! It's always nice to hear success stories and your growing methods may be helpful to others. Best of luck with your pineapples!