The Q&A Archives: Trimming Dwark Spruce

Question: I have a set of Dwarf Alberta Spruce,(Jean's Dilly) in their original containers. This is their 2nd year and they are sort of losing their shape.

1. Can I trim them? If so, when and with what?

2. How often do you recommend watering in each season. (they are in their containers.)

Answer: Plants in containers often need daily watering when the summer is hot or the weather is windy. As the plants grow larger in proportion to the size of the pot, they may need watering more often than that, or you could consider repotting them. These trees do relatively well in pots, but container culture under home conditions can be very stressful for any hardy plant. The trees could be trimmed very lightly in spring, just sheared, and not cut back into woody growth. They grow slowly so a once over lightly should be sufficient. You can use a power hedge trimmer or hand bypass pruner.