The Q&A Archives: Perilla Culture

Question: I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to grow perilla or shiso plants. The plants I have been able to purchase, have flowered quickly and then died. People have told me that the situation can't be helped--the perilla plant will just flower and thendie. Is there any way to prevent this and let the plant live longer?

Answer: Perillas are annual plants, so they are genetically programmed to flower and go to seed in one season. One thing you can do to prolong the life of your perilla is to take cuttings and root them. If you do this before the plant flowers, you may have rooted cuttings ready to plant as the first batch flowers and dies. Perilla is also easily grown from seed, so you can try starting a batch every 2 or 3 weeks, so you will have ready transplants continuously.