The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Peppers

Question: I'm getting really antsy to plant my pepper plants. I grew them from seed and are of a size that they can be transplanted, I think (although I still have room under my lights to let them stay another wk or two) The temps here have been 70s during the day with 40s at night for the past few days, and for today and the next week we're supposed to have 86ish days with high 50s-60s at night. I have raised rows to plant them in. I've been bringing them out along with all my other seedlings whenever we have a bright, calm day. I would love to get them in this weekend, what do you think? Lori

Answer: In addition to air temperatures, you want to be sure the soil has warmed prior to planting the peppers. You might try a soil thermometer and see. If you are prepared to protect them should there be that one more last cold night, and if you are fairly confident that the weather has settled, you could plant them. Try to do it on a cloudy day just before a rain.