The Q&A Archives: Onions With White Larvae

Question: I planted a dainish onion set in March and the other day I was looking at them and a couple of them had these white tiny worm-looking larvae in them. What are they and is there anything that can be done about them?

Answer: It sounds like onion maggot. They appear in cool, wet weather. They eat the root, and the plant may collapse. A fly, similar to a housefly, lays eggs, which hatch into the larvae. Lift infested plants and destroy them. Clean up all plant debris at the end of the season. Rotate where you plant onions next year. Floating row cover can be used on young seedlings to help prevent the flies from laying eggs. Be careful not to damage the plants when weeding, as this seems to attract the flies.