The Q&A Archives: Growing Lavender From Seeds

Question: I planted lavender seeds 2 weeks ago. Some of my seedlings have come up but seem to be getting no where. They are about 1/2" tall. Are they unusually slow growers or have I overwatered them? I have been misting them with a spray bottle twice a day and have watered them from the bottom also. Would a fish/seaweed fertilizer help at this point or shall I wait until they get bigger? They still have the seed leaves and no true leaves yet. What's happening with them? Help!

Answer: Lavender does prefer a well-drained soil, so it's possible your seedlings are feeling a little waterlogged. I had this same experience with peppers...the seedlings just sit there if their feet are wet. I suggest that you water from above and allow the soil to drain rather than bottom watering. If you have trouble with the soil surface drying out, cover any unsprouted seeds with plastic wrap to maintain humidity until they germinate. The seeds germinate best when the soil medium is kept around 70F. After that, temperatures around 65 are best for growth. Two weeks is about right for them to start sprouting. Don't bother fertilizing them until they develop true leaves, and use a very dilute solution (about a quarter regular strength) until they get some size.

I hope this helps!