The Q&A Archives: What Does Partial Sun/shade Mean?

Question: when any plant states partial sun/shade,does that mean 1/2 the time in sun the rest in shade or filtered sun?I get confused because I will plant according to inst. (sun) only to find out the plant should be in partial shade.Any help you can pass on to this confused gardner will certainly help.Thanks--the BREADMAN

Answer: Many plants will tolerate a range of lighting conditions. Some that prefer full sun all day long will still grow on a half day of full sun if the hours of sun include noon. Some plants that prefer shade will tolerate morning sun or dappled light all day long. Many shade to partial shade plants will do fine in morning sun, but find the afternoon sun too hot. Soil moisture can also contribute to a shade plant's ability to tolerate more sun. Most gardeners have to experiment a bit to see what does well in a given "partial shade" location.