The Q&A Archives: Can I start Garlic Indoors?

Question: I heard that garlic can be used as an organic pestrodent control, with this in mind, can garlic be started indoors in the fallwinter and transplanted in the spring?

Answer: Unless you chill the bulbs at 35-50F for several weeks before planting, spring-planted garlic produces small bulbs with less flavor than fall planted garlic. It still may not perform the way fall planted garlic would. I don't know how well it will adjust to transplanting, but if you started pre-chilled cloves in separate peat pots, it might work. Since part of the fun of gardening is in the experimentation, it can't hurt to try a few and see what happens! Also, keep in mind that garlic is a broad-spectrum poision, and can kill "good" bugs as well as pests, so use it judiciously.