The Q&A Archives: Leaves Turning Yellow

Question: i started my burpee seeds indoor as i do every year but this time my tomatoes seedlings came up and the leaves started turning yellow. the plants are still growing but don't look as healthy as previous ones. can i do anything to help them . they are big boy, beef steak and early girl.

Answer: Based on your description it is difficult to tell why this is happening. Some possible reasons could include a pest problem (examine them carefully), an over or underwatering problem, or possibly overfertilizing. (Many of the soilless mixes now contain fertilizer.) Another possibility is that they are lacking a micronutrient or the potting mix has a different pH. You might try using a water soluble fertilizer for acid loving plants (at a very dilute rate) and also try one with micronutrients such as one labeled "with minors" or one based on sea weed or kelp. Good luck with the tomatoes!