The Q&A Archives: Drip Irrigation for Window Boxes?

Question: I would like information on drip irrigation techniques for window boxes.

Thank you

Answer: Drip irrigation is a wonderful tool, and it can be used in containers and windowboxes. Many garden centers and mail order suppliers offer various brands of drip irrigation. Look for the kind that has a half-inch supply line, with "spaghetti tubing" and emitters that branch off. Also take some time to sketch a design and determine what kind of emitters and how much tubing you will need. As you work with your design, consider how to keep the black irrigation hose as inconspicuous as possible. You can probably mask it with trailing plants, or even paint it with exterior latex paint to match your house color (be sure to place masking tape over the emitter holes before painting!). I hope this gets you started!