The Q&A Archives: Moving Strawberry Plants

Question: I live in NE PA I will be moving To Syracuse NY next summer or Fall. I bought strawberry plants from Burpee last spring. They are great and this year gave an unbelievable amount of fruit. They are everbearing. I would like to take those wonderful plants with me, but I have no idea what to do. We don't have an exact move date, but I would estimate June or July of 1997. Is there any way I can dig those plants up and take them with me to replant in NY? When and how should I do it if I can atall? Can I take my strawberries with me?.

Answer: Since you have a year to get ready for the move, I suggest you wait until next spring to pot up the young plants that are produced at the ends of runners. Wait until they are fairly well-rooted, then put them into 4 to 6-inch pots and keep them well-watered and lightly fed. These new young plants will produce a much better crop for you than the older plants which are bearing well now.