The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Rose Of Sharon

Question: I have a 6 foot Rose of Sharon, 7 years old, that must be moved. Is it possible to successfully transplant it at this time? Is it a shallow or deep rooted shrub? If possible to transplant, please give me some hints.

Answer: These shrubs have extensive root systems and your plant is probably a bit over mature to transplant well. However, if the alternative is to cut it down, it is always worth a try. You will need to make sure it is well watered the day before, then dig as large a root ball as you can handle. These are very heavy, so you may want to arrange for some helpers. Dig as wide and deep as possible. Replant immediately at the same depth as it grew before, water well, and apply several inches of mulch. Water as needed this summer and fall to keep the soil evenly moist but not sopping wet. Also, trim back the top as much as needed to compensate for the amount of roots left behind. Good luck with the move!