The Q&A Archives: Identifying 5 Leaved Vine, Poisonous Or Not?

Question: I have a 5-leaved vine, not poison ivy, but it looks very similar. The leaves are jagged, the stalk is dark red, the leaves are bright grass green. It grows under my deck and comes up every spring. Is there any way of identifying it? If it isn't poisonous, I will leave it alone, but I am concerned my dog or small children who visit might be infected.

Answer: Without seeing the plant I can't be sure, but you may have 5-leaf Akebia, especially if the vine produces clusters of dull pruple, vanilla-scented flowers. It's a fast-growing vining plant, and thrives in either sun or shade. For positive identification, take a sample of the plant to a nursery or to your local Cooperative Extension office. (913) 764-6300.