The Q&A Archives: Identifying Holly Variety

Question: I purchased a pyramidal shaped holly bush with small oval to round shaped leaves(almost looks like a boxwood,only deeper green) and the tag was marked "Steeds Holly". Have you ever heard of this variety if so, tell me how to take care of it. Thanks

Answer: Your Steeds holly is a Japanese holly (Ilex crenata). It has a narrow upright growth habit, and grows vigorously. It can reach 5 -6 feet tall in 10 years. It can grow in sun or partial shade. It prefers a moist, but well drained, moderatley fertile, humus-rich soil in full sun to part shade. Follow a regular watering schedule during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system. Fertilize before new growth emerges in spring, using a fertlizer blended for acid-loving plants. For a tidy, neat appearance, shear annually in early spring to shape.