The Q&A Archives: My Male Holly Has Black Ringed Brown Spots On It

Question: My six year old male holly recently developed splotches on its leaves. The splotches are grayish brown in the center with a black ring around the outside. There is also a mold-like white substance on the trunk. A few of my female's leaves are starting to splotch as well. The splotches seem to start out black then as they grow they turn grayish brown and the black remains around the edges.

Answer: Unfortunately, based on your description I am unable to identify the problem(s) with certainty, although it sounds like a fungal problem. I would suggest you consult with your county extension for a specific diagnosis of the problem(s) and their most up to date recommendations for control. In the meantime, clean up and dispose of any fallen leaves and replace the layer of mulch around the plant to try to limit reinfection.