The Q&A Archives: Vinca Minor

Question: I planted creeping mrytle two days ago. The plants are about 1 or 2 inches high. I planted them in a 12 foot long 1.5 foot wide area. How long should it take before they begin to filling that area? Days? Weeks? Years? I am anxioud for it to grow and fill in the exposed dirt.

Answer: Typical spacing for fast coverage is about a foot apart, although they will fill in eventually spaced further apart than that, up to about two feet for several years wait. The plants do grow quickly once they become established. I would allow all summer and about half of next summer for them to fill in at one foot spacing. The planting will then become denser each year. Mulching in between them will help hold down weeds and keep the soil moist while you wait.