The Q&A Archives: Roots Are Showing

Question: I Have 12 bluespruce two story high evergreens
that Ihad to cut off lower limbs on one side
because they were dead/dying. I sprayed w horti
wax to stop bug infestation. I now see that roots are showing. There is probably chlorine contamination from a nearby pool in the past.
I have started to fertilize annually. Should I
put topsoil and more mulch around them ( 8 yds
each? ). Please help.!!?? The trees surround my back yard and a pool.I live on a 1/3 acre suburbian lot. Thank you....

Answer: In most cases it is not a good idea to add soil over surface roots, the roots are raised in search of air or naturally grow in that pattern. Instead, I would suggest you consult with your county extension as to the specific pest/s or cause/s for the dieback and how to care for the trees at this point. Fertilizing often will not compensate for problems and can in fact make the situation worse. They should also be able to tell you what nutrients (if any) are required for optimum conditions for the trees base don the results of some basic soil tests. I hope it is not a serious problem, but I would suggest you do this soon.