The Q&A Archives: Lime Plant In A Container With Yellow Leaves

Question: My potted lime has flowered and set fruit but now is getting yellow leaves and dropping most of the fruit. I am about to move it outdoors for the summer. Should I repot it and what is the cause of the yellow leaves and fruit drop?

Answer: Both are common conditions on citrus. Yellow leaves may be lack of nutrients. If the older leaves are yellowing and dropping it is probably nitrogen deficiency. I would fertilize with a citrus fertilizer or an all-purpose balanced fertilizer. I would not recommend repotting now, which will upset the fruiting process. Fruit drop is also common, as the tree will set more fruit than it can grow, so it "drops" the excess. Make sure your tree is well-watered and fertilized as citrus is a heavy "feeder" and "drinker."