The Q&A Archives: Clematis That Doesn't Bloom

Question: What climbing plant can I plant in place of a clematis?

My clematis is now in the shade of a sunburst locust tree. For the past five years the clematis grows a lot of vine, but it never blooms.

Last fall I completely cut it off to ground level--something I didn't do before. Presently, it has about four inches of new growth coming.

I will appreciate your advice for making the clematis bloom, or for planting a different plant.

Answer: Clematis blooms best when the top of the plant is in full sun and the roots are in shade. Moving your clematis to a sunnier location will improve its flowering capability. Once you've transplanted it to a better location, you can replace it with Trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine) or an annual climber such as scarlet runner beans or Parthenocissus inserta (Virginia Creeper).