The Q&A Archives: Can Silk Floss Be An Indoor Plant?

Question: I purchased a Silk Floss tree from a nursery in Oregon. I fell in love with it but was unable to get much info about it from the nursery. They sold it to me as an indoor tree and now I find out how large they can grow. Is there any way I can keep it indoors? The leaves are closing up and some are yellowing.I repotted it in potting soul and the original dirt and put miracle grow on it. I have it in full sun. If not...will it grow in Oregon outdoors? Thank-you Shawna

Answer: Silk Floss is Chorisia, a native of South America. It requires full sunshine and regular water during the growing season. It's hardy to about 25F so it may be iffy as an outdoor plant in your gardening region. Chorisia can attain heights of 50' with an equal width. It's not a good candidate for indoor growing. The climate won't suit it and it's deciduous (loses its leaves) so it will not look very attractive in its bare state during the winter months. Good luck with your tree!