The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Azeala

Question: I want to transplant my azeala bush. Is there a particular time of the year I should do this and anything in particular I
need to do for this type of shrub? Thanks

Answer: These plants require an acid soil that is also humusy and evenly moist yet well drained; when repositioning the plant you should try to match the original sun conditions as closely as possible. They are shallow rooted, but the roots spread wider than the branch spread. To transplant it, you will want to take as many of the roots as possible and replant immediately at the same depth as it grew before. Trim back the top to compensate for lost roots. Keep the plant watered as you would a new plant. The best time to do this is in early spring, when growing conditions are cool and the soil is naturally moist. Sometimes, it is better to leave a well established and healthy azalea where it is rather than try to move it.