The Q&A Archives: Which Moonflower Is Best Here?

Question: I live in Upstate NY and have viewed the moonflower questions. It seems people do grow
moonflower in the Northeast, but in another garden catalog they are listed as
being a tropical plant and living only in zones nine and ten. I wish to grow moonflower
as a vine up a large trellis seat. Traditionally, we cannot plant seed here until after
Memorial Day. First, will moonflower vine grow here? Also, my area is partial shade. Is
it practical to grow here since our season is so short? Will I not have much of a vine
to speak of? I swear I have seen large ones by the porches of older homes. Am I
wrong? How do I know shipping charges, and how long does it take to receive an order?
Thank you, Melanie Zimmer

Answer: They are talking about the same plant. Moonflower vine is long lived in a warm climate but grown as an annual in colder areas. It does not tolerate frost. It requires a warm soil and a full sun position as well as a long growing season to do its best. In partial sun and a cooler climate such as yours as it might not bloom until late August or even later! And its blooms will be relatively sparse. It may self seed in a favorable spot and seem to be perennial in your area for that reason, just as some patches of morning glories do. It might be worth an experiment if you really want to grow it. Otherwise, you might try a clematis with white flowers in a partially shaded spot for a blooming vine but without the fragrance. For information about ordering, please contact Burpee directly. Their toll free number is 800-888-1447.