The Q&A Archives: Lack Of Sun

Question: The front of my hose does not really get any sun. Right now I have some bushes that look sad and 2 hydranges that I do not really like, I also have a Japenesse maple that was planted last yr that I love. I would like to pull up the bushes and the ground cover and ass some coloer to the front of the house. I am tired of it just being green. Can you please suggest something that I can plant in front to give to add some color. Something that of couse requires little to no sun to grow. Thanks

Answer: To go with a Japanese maple, you might try a background of hostas. These can be found with green, blue, gold, or striped foliage and depending on variety, a single plant can reach four feet across and several feet high or there are also ground covering types that are just a few inches tall. Additional suggestions would include ferns of various types, pulmonaria, and lily of the valley.