The Q&A Archives: Vine That Grows In Full Shade, Flowers, Climbs Walls

Question: I'm looking for a vine or something to cover a 12 foot high wall (cement in places, brick in others), that is in full shade and has two large trees whose roots have taken over the area. I'd like something that flowers and requires no care, though if you know of a perennial that would climb the wall, requires no pruning and doesn't flower, that's fine too.

Answer: Since there are tree roots, I would expect the soil to be dry in that area and that really limits your choices further. I would suggest Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus) which will cover the wall, attaches itself by sticky pads and thus needs no support, and although deciduous and nonblooming turns a very gratifying red in the fall. It also grows quickly starting in the second year.