The Q&A Archives: A Deer Ate My Tulips As They Were Coming Up. Can I Save The Bulbs?

Question: Last night a deer(we have evidences) ate four of my tulips just as they were just showing the flower. Can I save the bulbs? Should I dig up the bulbs now? there is no foliage left on the plants.

Answer: Although the plants will not bloom this year now that the deer ate the flower buds, any remaining foliage should be encouraged to grow as much as possible. Since the foliage elongates with age, it is possible that more foliage will emerge above the soil line. The foliage is what rebuilds the bulbs so it can flower again next year. Be sure to allow it to grow and then fade and dry up naturally before removing it. You might also baby it with a little water soluble fertilizer applied according to the label instructions along with watering as needed to keep the soil moist but not soggy while they foliage is still growing.