The Q&A Archives: Eureka Lemon Drop

Question: I bought a Eureka Lemon tree in a 5 gallon container about 2 months ago. Gets great sun, great drainage, healthy leaves, but the lemons drop off when they are about 1/4" . It would be easier for me to accept "the natural thinning process" if it needed to be thinned. But there are no lemons. I do have lots of blooms. Any suggestions besides , "patience"?

Answer: Citrus trees need plenty of sunshine and moderate watering all year long. If your plant is subjected to fluctuations in soil moisture, it might respond by dropping the blossoms. Citrus trees sometimes take a few years before they're able to bear fruit to maturity. If all the cultural needs are being met, you may just have to wait until your tree gets a little older. Wish I could offer more!