The Q&A Archives: What Zone Am I In?

Question: I would like to plant a flower garden on the side of my townhome, I get full sun. I would like to know what zone I am in, so that I select the right flowers for my zone. Expecially, since I get full direct sun on the front of my home. The flower garden will be on the side of my home. I have a end of group.

Answer: You are in a warm zone 6, so you have a wide range of sun loving perennials to select from. If the sun is afternoon sun only or in the middle of the day, then select plants that prefer full sun or possibly full sun to part shade. If the sun is morning sun only, then look for plants that prefer partial shade to full sun. The reason for this is that afternoon sun is very hot and intense, while morning sun is gentle.