The Q&A Archives: The Longest Lasting Indoor, Low Maintanence Plant

Question: I recently broke up with my boyfriend becuase he will be gone for about several years abroad.

I wanted to send him a plant that would last long enought so that when he comes back, I can buy him a new one but in the mean time he can have something to remember me by.

Therefor I am trying to find the easiest plant to take care of for at least ten years (I have a feeling that my answer would be in baby cactuses or some other desert plant) But i was hoping I could find something more beautiful.

Answer: Philodendron is a graceful, attractive and long lived plant and can be perpetuated by tip cuttings for generations. It is also easy to care for and will tolerate all kinds of growing conditions. However, there may be plant importation restrictions in the country where he is going, so you might want to look into that first.