The Q&A Archives: Information On Lamb's Ear

Question: I recently acquired some Lamb's ear from a friend, but didn't get much information about the plant. Is it a perennial? I have full sun in all my gardens, will it grow there? Also, how big will it get? Any information you can give me will be a big help.

Answer: Stachys byzantina, commonly called Lamb's Ear, so named because of its soft and wooly leaves. It grows to 1 1/2 feet high, spreading freely by surface runners. The tongue-shaped wooly white leaves are 4 to 6 inches long and blossoms appear on tall, thin stalks. I generally cut away the flowering stalks - I think it detracts from the appearance of the plant. Stachys thrives in full sun to light shade, in moderately dry soils. Cut back the leaves when they become old and dull - new leaves will appear almost immediately. Plants will freeze to the ground during cold weather but new stems and leaves will appear in early spring. It's a reasonably easy-care plant. Enjoy!